Skip to Main Content

Class and Degree Policies

Additional helpful information

  1. Each MS student is assigned a faculty advisor when admitted to the program.
  2. No more than 2 electives prior to completion of 5 core courses can be taken without prior permission of an advisor.
  3. Graduate students may take no more than 3 classes per semester without prior permission from their advisor AND the Graduate Program Director.
  4. MS students must maintain a B average, (i.e., 3.0 GPA).
  5. Graduate students may be recommended for dismissal after earning three Cs (this includes C+, C, or C-), one D or one F in any graduate level course.
  6. MS students may not count courses that are audited as part of the MS program and may not take courses under the Pass/Fail option.
  7. All graduate students should consult the University Graduate School Catalog, which contains the University’s regulations and procedures for earning degrees.
  8. MS students who graduated from the IS BS program must substitute an additional elective for HCC 636.
  9. If you took any cross-listed courses, you cannot take the course at the graduate level for credit towards your degree.
  10. MS students may take ONE independent study which counts as an elective, usually taken toward the end of the degree. In order for a MS student to take an independent study course, the student must submit the Proposed Independent Study Form.
  11. No more than two elective courses may be taken outside of the courses offered by your program. Formal approval from your advisor is required before external courses can be taken. Courses taken from the online MS program’s curriculum do not count in this category, they are in addition to the two external courses. Courses offered in the on-campus IS program and in the HCC program are not considered external and can be taken by students enrolled in either program.
  12. Of the four IS MS fundamental courses (face-to-face: IS 600, 610, 650, online: IS 607) HCC MS students can only take IS 610 as an elective for credit. IS 600, 650, and 607 will not count toward their degree. If a student took IS 410 at UMBC, they cannot take IS 610.
  13. Students in the Human-Centered Computing Master’s program can take up to two courses from the online MS program as electives as part of their program. They can only take an online course if the face-to-face equivalent of the course is not offered during that semester. These two courses are in addition to the two courses that can be taken outside of the IS Department. Online MS students will have priority when registering for the online courses.
  14. A student may elect to do a masters thesis, in which case two electives may be used for thesis research credits. If a student elects to do a thesis, the student must choose a thesis advisor from the department and form a three-member committee that oversees and accepts the thesis. An MS thesis must be pre-approved by the advisor and submitted to the thesis committee at least four weeks prior to the proposal or final defense.

If you need any further information, please contact the Graduate Program Director (