Admissions FAQs

I missed the application deadline, can I still apply?

Unfortunately, we are not able to process applications after the October or May 1st deadlines.

I am currently enrolled in a different MS program at UMBC, can I switch to HCC? 

If you are not currently enrolled in an MS program in the Department of Information Systems, you need to complete a new application.  Please speak with the HCC GPD prior to completing the application.

I am a full-time employee and am looking for a program I can do part-time, mainly one class a semester. Is this program conducive  to that if I work with a counselor? 

All of our classes are designed for students with other obligations during the workday. Our graduate classes meet once a week Monday – Thursday from 4:30 and end at 7. We have several students who take one course a semester and are very successful. I typically recommend students be careful about overcommitting on classes, and instead only take the appropriate number that works with their schedule.

Is it ideal to start the HCC program in Spring or the Fall?

3. We have students start both semesters, and it won’t impact your course trajectory. Since more students tend to start in the Fall semester, there are more campus orientation events. However, students who start in the Spring semester are successful and meet their classmates.

Are there any open houses about the program I could attend?

Interested students are welcome to visit campus and join us for our HCC community meetings on Mondays at 3pm in ITE 430. This is a regular meeting for all students (and those interested in becoming a student) to meet each other and faculty. Please let the GPD know if you are interested in visiting.

Do I have to take the GRE?

The GRE is now optional for the Ph.D. HCC program. The GRE is not required for the MS program.

I have applied or I have been admitted, but I would like to delay my matriculation. May I do so, and if so, what should I do? To delay matriculation, you must submit a request in writing to the Graduate Program Director. Such requests are typically granted, but only once and only for up to one year. After one year, or on the second such request, a new application must be submitted, with an additional application fee. Please note that offers for financial support will not be carried over, nor will applications which delay matriculation be considered anew for support.