Academic Admissions Requirements
Each applicant’s application is evaluated individually, and their entire package is considered in the admission decision. Most accepted students meet the following minimum criteria.
- Applicants must include a statement of purpose summarizing their interests and experience in the field of Human-Centered Computing (Recommend 1-2 pages)
- Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation.
- The majority of successful applicants have an undergraduate GPA well above 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Electronic Transcripts: If you have electronic transcripts, send them to Kathie Nee (email@example.com) for domestic applications and to Kathy Ruth (firstname.lastname@example.org) for international applications
- All applicants are expected to read, speak, write, and understand the English language fluently. Those whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), unless they have earned a post-secondary degree from an accredited university in the United States.
- Admitted applicants must have a combined TOEFL score of 550 (written), 213 (computer based) or 80 (iBT-Internet based), or a score above 6.5 with the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- The code for UMBC is 5835
- While not required for consideration to the MS program, we encourage interested applicants to include a resume (or CV) and any samples of high-quality past work.
- Note: GRE scores are not required for the MS degree program
When evaluating a graduate student’s application, we consider the whole package and don’t make decisions exclusively based on GPA requirements. We have many students who join our program after many years of industry experience and fully recognize that GPA isn’t the only marker for success.